Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Fashion 101

     First off, sorry about not posting yesterday like I said I would.  I got caught up in the "blizzard" we had yesterday.  AKA.  I just became lazy and decided to watch the snow for a couple of hours rather than touch anything electronic.  But I'm back, and feeling good.  So you may just get two posts today.
     I know, calm down.  You're excited.  It's okay.
     So, before I get started talking about all the adaptations I've encountered, I figured I'd start with my own.  If you need to know anything about me, it's that I'm obsessed with fashion.  I may not look like it all the time.  For a matter of fact, I'm wearing sweatpants right this very moment.  But there's just something about a new Marchesa gown on a red carpet that makes me feel all warm and tingly on the inside.    Following that passion, I decided to create a small collection of what a modern WOZ fashion show would look like.  And now I will show you.
     Keep in mind that I can't draw.
     And with that.
     Drum roll please.




    And there you have it.  Now.  If only I knew how to sew.  Alas, I cannot.  And my WOZ creations are forever relegated to paper.  It's probably best that way.  The world can't handle my ability to make it work.  

     As for adaptations of WOZ, to keep my blog focused and less ranty (a la my rant on how Gregory Maguire's Wicked sucked all the life out of me), I'm going to focus on my favorite part of visual adaptations-wardrobe.  Wardrobe choices can explain a lot about a character's personality without any dialogue as well as reveal challenges in the adaptation process.  Often times, the adaptation source leaves very little detail on the wardrobe, with details such as a character wearing pants being the only description given.  Or, the difficulty may be on the other extreme, as in Hermione's Yule Ball gown in the fourth Harry Potter.  In the book, she is wearing blue dress robes, but in the movie she is seen wearing a pink gown.  Fans were up in arms about this, but the wardrobe designer for the production argued vehemently for the pink gown.  The Yule Ball was a moment of revelation for Hermione; she was finally seen as a feminine force rather than just one of the guys.  The traditionally feminine pink dress offered a greater opportunity for this rather than blue dress robes. 
    Who woulda thunk that a dress could say so much?
   
     So, my plans for this is to do a separate post for each because, if you're like me, you get visually overwhelmed by a lot of text.  I'm going to talk about Tin Man, The Wiz, and Oz the Great and Powerful. 
I hope you enjoy this foray into costume design.  I know I will. 
    And now I leave you with the two cutest flying monkeys ever. 


-M.  
      
P.S.  I have two Boston Terriers, and I'm totally doing this next Halloween.  

No comments:

Post a Comment